Native News Network Staff in Native Health. Discussion »
WAYLAND, MICHIGAN Gun Lake Casino announced results of its month-long campaign to raise funds for Susan G Komen for the Cure. The Casino raised $36,360.08 through special promotions held during October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The Susan G Komen Southwest and West Michigan affiliate will each receive $18,180.04 to support breast cancer education, research and treatment programs for thousands of women in the local community.
Susan G Komen for the Cure
“We are thrilled at the tremendous response from our guests and team members to support these worthy organizations,”
said Rob McDermott, General Manager of Gun Lake Casino.
“By partnering with these two affiliates, we are able to impact individuals in thirteen counties throughout western Michigan.”
At a special presentation today, Gun Lake Casino announced the unanticipated amount and gave checks of $18,180.94 to each affiliate. Guests and team members showed remarkable support for breast cancer awareness. Proceeds were collected from pink ribbons sold at the Appliques Gift Shop, pink desserts purchased at Sandhill Café, together with five-percent of monthly winnings from a "pink" blackjack table and one-percent of all hand paid slot jackpots.
“The dollars raised will further our efforts to work towards our Komen vision, A world without breast cancer. Thank you, Gun Lake Casino.”
Jenny Miner, Executive Director Southwest Michigan Komen Affiliate.
Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliates provide grants for innovative community programs that reduce breast cancer mortality through screening, treatment, education and safety-net services, while the remaining 25 percent supports groundbreaking breast cancer research grants.
“Komen West Michigan is truly grateful and honored to be a recipient of all your support and hard work during Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Thank you Gun Lake Casino,”
said Carol Perschbacher, President, West Michigan Affiliate.
posted November 8, 2012 6:30 am edt